Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford
Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay claims he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ by Louis van Gaal during his underwhelming spell with the Red Devils.The Dutch forward failed to make an impact at Old Trafford, scoring just two Premier League goals in as many years, before joining Lyon in 2017.Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving Unitedgetty2
Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United
Since then, the 25-year-old has emerged as one of the most gifted players in Europe and in his new autobiography, he explains how he has matured as an individual.Depay reveals that he approached Ryan Giggs for advice on how to improve as a winger, while former Red Devils boss Van Gaal had different ideas.“After I lost my spot in the starting line-up, I asked assistant coach Ryan Giggs to do extra training with me,” Memphis said in his book ‘Heart of a Lion’. “To work on my crosses with my left foot, to become a better winger. After a while Van Gaal asked me to come to his office. He said that there was nothing wrong with my left foot and that the extra training with Giggs was nonsense. Its all in your head, he also told me.“That struck me. I mean, what could be wrong with trying to become a better player, with the help of a former top-winger like Ryan Giggs? More and more I got the feeling I could do nothing good according to Van Gaal.“Later Van Gaal came to me and told me I had to talk with a mental coach he personally knew. My answer was that I wanted to think about that.7. Memphis Depay (winger)getty2
Depay was a shadow of his current self at Old Trafford
“I was still confident that I would succeed at United, as soon as I was adapted to the higher level of football and to my new life in England.“Later on Van Gaal kept on saying that I needed to talk to that mental coach. It would benefit my focus and concentration level, he said. But I didnt feel like talking to a stranger, also because I had my own mental coach since I was twelve already.“Deep inside I felt that it would cause a problem if I didnt do what Van Gaal told me. But I didnt want to be an actor and pretend that I thought it was a good thing to do. Just to please the manager.

LIVE ON talkSPORT

talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
  • France vs South Korea (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
  • Denmark vs Republic of Ireland (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
  • Croatia vs Wales (Saturday, 2pm) – talkSPORT
  • England vs Scotland (Sunday, 5pm) – talkSPORT
“After my third refusal to talk to that mental coach, Van Gaal didnt speak to me for a long time. I think hes finished with you when you dont follow his advice.“He kept putting me on the bench and at the end of the season he spoke to me again: to say that next year would be even more difficult to me, because United was going to buy new strikers.“Before the last game of the season, the FA Cup-final against Crystal Palace, he even put me on the stands. Like a teacher does at school with a naughty child.”

This is Doherty’s third goal of the season

Christian Eriksen assists: Tottenham playmaker equals Manchester United legend David Beckham's Premier League record Eriksen set up Lucas Moura in the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool to make 10 or more
Christian Eriksen - Wikipedia

Antoine Griezmann is set to leave Atletico Madrid this summer after five seasons with the club

Premier League outfit Tottenham have this evening confirmed the club's decision to trigger the extension option in the contract of defender Jan Vertonghen. Belgian stopper Vertonghen has been on
Tottenham extend Jan Vertonghen's contract until 2020

Sterling was in exceptional form in November

I'm A Celebrity star Harry Redknapp's family heartache over son due in court on serious drugs charges BEING FRANK Frank Lampard set to take over as Chelsea's new manager, according to
I'm A Celebrity's Harry Redknapp, 71, melts hearts as he

Fellaini could leave Manchester United in January
Tottenham vs Liverpool: Mauricio Pochettino makes Spurs stars

Gomes played the ball across the face of goal for Richarlison to fire home

Mar 16, 2019 · Sergio Aguero scored in the 88th minute to complete a three-goal comeback as Manchester City tops Swansea City 3-2 in FA Cup action on Saturday. group stage play has come to an end and the

James Maddison has emerged as a target for Tottenham

'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club
'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool
fussboll.com/2019/05/01/ill-fg-do-you-remembering-the-last-time-liverpool-played-barcelona-and-craig-bellamy-attacked-john-arne-riise-with-a-golf-club/
Liverpool are preparing to take on Barcelona in the first […] 'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool played Barcelona and Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a golf club
'I'll f*****g do you!' - Remembering the last time Liverpool

Hazard was in stunning form on Saturday

Boca Juniors v River Plate rivalry explained: Copa Libertadores final was ruined by violence but fierce history from dockland days shines light on why tensions boiled over outside El Monumental

Strakosha is highly-rated in Italy

Hello and welcome to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, where Spurs host Everton in the final game of the Premier League season. Mauricio Pochettino's side come into this game in a euphoric mood after securing their place in the Champions League final in midweek with a last-gasp win over Ajax in Amsterdam.
Tottenham Maintain 3rd in BPL with Victory over Leicester City

Sterling responded to racist chanting during England’s defeat of Montenegro

Preview: Manchester United vs. Manchester City - prediction, team news, lineups Phil Jones and Nemanja Matic have also Read more about Jose Mourinho Romelu Lukaku Marcus Rashford Pep
Manchester United team news and injury latest: The 10 players

Thalassitis was a talented footballer and played up front in the lower leagues

Callum Hudson-Odoi: England U21 boss Aidy Boothroyd admits Chelsea starlet may now STAY in senior Three Lions talkSPORT. Young Lions boss is uncertain if the 18-year-old will ever return to the U21 side after impressing in Gareth Southgate's team. talkSPORT Tue, 26 Mar 2019 07:00:00 GMT
Czech Republic U21 v Russia U21 (Live)" - spreaker.com

Liverpool ace Naby Keita has been steadily improving this season.

Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk voted for Raheem Sterling to be named PFA Player of the Year due to his 'outstanding' performances for Premier League champions Manchester City. Van Dijk, the

Ian Wright and Tottenham

— Manchester United (@ManUtd) December 19, 2018. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's credentials have come under scrutiny following the announcement of his appointment as interim manager of Manchester United. The 45-year-old manager averaged a win ratio of 55.2 percent in 125 games during his first spell as the head coach of Molde.
I feel so privileged to be Manchester United manager, says

Matt Ritchie missed a penalty but Newcastle won anyway in a five-goal thriller with Everton

Everton news: Marco Silva delivers damning response to Sam Allardyce's criticism on talkSPORT Written by: fpnews Posted on: January 7, 2019 Everton manager Marco Silva has refused to take notice of Sam Allardyce's criticism of his philosophy, claiming his predecessor does not care about the club.
'I wasn't having a pop at him' - Sam Allardyce defends

Tottenham’s final Champions League match at Wembley was their 3-0 home defeat of Borussia Dortmund

Paul Pogba: Adrian Clark thinks Manchester United midfielder was in PFA Team of the Year due to purple patch at right time by: 161385360554578 — Talk Sport 25 Apr Adrian Clarke has explained why he thinks Paul Pogba was named in the PFA Team of the Year.
PFA Premier League Team of the Year Announced: Paul Pogba In

Havertz is developing into one of the best young talents in world football.
Tottenham Hotspur activate option to extend Jan Vertonghen's

No comments:

Post a Comment